Welcome to sponsor Recology King County’s monthly feature, Ask Recology.
If you have any questions, please contact Recology.
Hello, this is Ricology!
My New Year’s resolution is to spend less.
The problem is I don’t know where to start.
Do you have any tips on how to reduce trash in your daily life?
Happy New Year, Sydney!
We’d love to hear from you if you want to start 2023 with less waste. We are happy to help!
As you may have noticed, there are many places in our daily lives where waste can occur. One way to simplify the task of reducing waste is to organize it into categories.
- in the kitchen at meal time Let’s focus here because it’s a high potential waste area. To reduce waste in this aspect of life, we recommend the following tips.
- when buying groceries, be sure to bring your own reusable bag. It’s a good idea to always have a few in your bag or backpack so you don’t forget.
- Skip plastic bags when buying fruits and vegetables.
- Buy groceries in bulk as much as possibleThis reduces the amount of packaging you need and in many cases less money you pay!
- Buy products in easy-to-recycle packaging.
- After preparing the food, save the vegetable scraps and use them for soup! By saving and freezing the scraps, you can use these later to boil and turn them into soups.
- Always use reusable plates and cutlery for mealsIf you use paper napkins, be sure to compost them. Pro tip: Use cloth napkins and towels when possible. That way, these can still be washed and reused!
- Save leftovers for a second mealIf you don’t finish your dinner, put it in an airtight, reusable container so you can eat it later. When you’re done with your leftovers, the leftover scraps can be composted.
- Replace saran wrap and disposable storage materials For reusable products like glass jars, glass containers, beeswax and more! Beeswax is 100% compostable after use.
Visit the Recology store for ideas on how to reduce waste. The Burien Recology store is located at 15858 First Avenue S, #A100 Burien, WA (map below).
You can also find additional Waste Zero tips on the Recology King County social media pages listed below.
you got this!
Editor’s Note: These sponsored posts are paid “native ads” that help businesses and organizations improve their internet presence and all-important SEO. Email Theresa Schaefer for more information on how to grow and reach a dedicated audience directly in South King County. [email protected].