of la jolla lights presents this ongoing list of online activities and local in-person events.
lecture and study
• The Scripps Center for Integrated Medicine will: Walter Longo, author of “The Longevity Diet,” Friday, January 27, at 7:30 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla on Aventine, 3777 La Jolla Village Drive. The address is the only public part of the 18th Annual Natural Supplements Conference for Health Professionals. $30 a person or him $40 for two. scripps.org/naturalsupplements
• Giveaway at the La Jolla Community Center Ukulele group lesson Beginning Friday, February 3rd at 10am, the address is 6811 La Jolla Blvd. James Clarkston teaches basic music theory, technique, and music history in his four-week course. All skill levels are welcome. Community Center member he $100. $120 for non-members. ljcommunitycenter.org
• Advisors to Compass and Athena “Golden Visa Seminar” Friday, February 3 at 6:00 pm, 5623 La Jolla Blvd., La Jolla. Guests can learn what a Golden Visa is, how it works, and what it takes to participate in the program. free. To sign up, call (619) 300-5032 or athenaadvisers.com/sandiego.
• Pen to Paper Writing Class Held every Thursday at 1:00 pm at La Jolla/Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. Weekly classes are open to her 18+ writers of all experience levels. free. (858) 552-1657
family and children
• La Jolla Music Society Giveaway 123 Andres The husband and wife duo will perform at 7600 Jay Avenue on Saturday, January 28 at 9:30 am and 11:30 am, inviting people of all ages to dance and jump. $15 for children, $25 for adults. theconrad.org/events/123-andres-3
• Giveaway from La Jolla/Riford Library “Peeping into the world of pharmacy” Saturday, January 28, 10:30 am, 7555 Draper Ave. Workshops for high school students will explore several topics, including pharmacist jobs, pharmacist career paths, and health professionals working with pharmacists. Q&A with active pharmacists. free. lajolllibrary.org
• Yiddishland California Presents “Yiddishland Art Club” 3:30 PM on Mondays and Thursdays from February 6 to March 6 “Yiddish art class for children” Wednesdays, February 1 through March 8, at 12:45 pm, 1128 Wall Street, La Jolla. In his classes for ages 5 to 10, participants are exposed to Yiddish culture and traditions through art. $30 per class. yiddishlandcalifornia.org/yiddish-art-class-for-children
Health & fitness
• La Jolla Cove Bridge Club gift “Breathe, Feel, Stretch, Relax, Heal” Wednesday through February at 4:40 pm at 1160 Coast Blvd. Weekly classes are for all levels. $15 per class. e-mail email@example.com.
• Gifts from La Jolla Woman’s Club “Gentle Yoga” It’s 11:30 am on Thursday and the address is 7791 Draper Ave. Weekly classes are for all levels and are open to the public. $15.
art and culture
• Quint Gallery will hold an opening reception “some palm trees” Saturday, January 28, 11:00 am, 7655 Girard Ave, La Jolla. San Diego-based artist Perry Vazquez’s painting exhibition centers on palm trees as symbols of California idealism. free. quintgallery.com
• La Jolla Theater Ensemble will premiere Sarah LeClair. “The Importance of Ugg’s Boots!” Saturday, January 28, at 2:00 pm and Monday, January 30, at 6:00 pm, La Jolla/Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. The selection is scattered. Suggest a donation of $10.
• Giveaway from the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library Pianist Rossina Grieco Saturday, January 28, 4 p.m., 1008 Wall Street, La Jolla. A dinner with native La Jolan follows her performance. Athenaeum member her $50. $55 for non-members. ljathenaeum.org
• La Jolla Music Society Giveaway Violinist Johann Darren and pianist Giorgi Gigasvili It will take place on Sunday, January 29th at 3:00 pm at Baker-Baum Concert Hall, 7600 Fay Ave. This performance is part of his Music Society Discover series. $43. theconrad.org
• The University of California, San Diego Department of Visual Arts, Mika CardenasProfessor of Performance, Play, and Design and Associate Professor of Critical Race and Ethnic Studies at the University of California, Santa Cruz, 4 p.m., online, Tuesday, Jan. 31. Free. bit.ly/UCSD Cardenas
Adventures with Books and the Amelie Area (Wisconsin) Public Library “Book Bingo (Out of the Shadows) Virtual Adventure” Online Thursday, February 2nd at 4pm. The event will feature presentations by authors Cara Black, Kimberly Brock, Fran Hawthorne, Jennifer Rosner, Alex Segura and Wendy Walker, plus an interactive virtual game of bingo and prizes. free. bit.ly/ABBFeb2
• Warwick’s bookstore showcases professors and authors Joseph Sassoon Thursday, February 2 at 7:30 p.m., 7812 Girard Ave, La Jolla. Sassoon discusses and signs his new book, Silent Spring Revolution: John F. Kennedy, Rachel Carson, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon and the Great Environmental Awakening. Free, $35 for reserved seats and copies of books. warwicks.com/event/sassoon-2023
• Gifts from La Jolla Village Merchant Association “First Friday La Jolla Art Walk” It takes place on Friday, February 3rd at 4pm at various locations in The Village. Some galleries are open late and partner with local businesses to provide food and entertainment. bit.ly/VMAFirstFriday
• La Jolla Library Art Gallery “California Colors” Saturday, February 4, 3:00 pm, La Jolla/Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. The exhibition, featuring contemporary and striking color paintings by Kathy Carey, Kate Joyner and Jason Nelson, runs through Monday, March 13th. free.
• Gifts from Le Salon de Musiques “Chopin: Concerto Inspired by Blue-Eyed Beauty” Sunday, February 5 at 4:00 pm at the La Jolla Women’s Club, 7791 Draper Ave. Soprano Elissa Johnston, violinists Ambroise Oublan and Benjamin Hoffman, violist Jonah Sirota, cellist Michael Kaufman, contrabassist Ryan Baird and pianist Vijay Venkatesh. $95. lesalondemusiques.com
• B free studio gift “Blue Sky: Painting” Until Sunday, February 5th, at 7857 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The solo exhibition includes works by Cecilia Wong Kaiser. free. bfreestudio.net
• Exhibits at the San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art “Alexis Smith: The American Way” Until Sunday, February 5th at 700 Prospect St., La Jolla. The exhibit showcases Smith’s mixed media collages, which have had a profound impact on film, literature, and pop culture. $25. mcasd.org
• Giveaway at the La Jolla Community Center “Wednesday Opera” February 8, 7:00 pm 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Soprano Michelle Lo joins three others. We recommend donating $10-$20. ljcommunitycenter.org/opera-wednesdays
• Giveaway from RB Stevenson Gallery “in monochrome” Until Saturday, February 11th, at 7661 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The exhibition features new and recent work by San Francisco artists Judith Hoosaner and Mark Perlman. rbstevensongallery.com
• Giveaway at La Jolla Playhouse “Outsider” Begins Sunday, February 19th at the Mandell Weiss Theater at 2910 La Jolla Village Drive. This musical reimagines the tale of the bond brothers share and the hope we hold on to. Performances run until his Sunday, March 19th. $25 and up. lajollaplayhouse.org
• Provided by Qualcomm Institute “Beyond the Metaverse in OurWorlds: Indigenous Stories All Around You” Atkinson Hall, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, Gallery QI, UC San Diego, through Friday, March 17th. The exhibit is an educational augmented reality platform and mobile application designed to integrate Native American heritage and knowledge into everyday environments. free. galleryqi.ucsd.edu
gala and event
• St. Sarkis Armenian Church 1st Anniversary Gala Saturday, February 4, at 6:00 PM at the San Diego Marriott La Jolla Hotel at 4240 La Jolla Village Drive. A formal optional event features dinner and the Allen G Orchestra. Over $250. e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mission Bay High School conservative jazz band will hold a fundraising concert on Wednesday, February 22nd at 7pm at La Jolla Woman’s Club at 7791 Draper Ave. Proceeds from this event will support the band on her biennial San Diego-Yokohama Sister City Goodwill Delegation Tour in April. The band will perform in Japan. $20. Missionbaymusic.com/japanmbhs
Is there an event (online or in person) you’d like to see here? Email your leads to email@example.com by noon on Friday to be included in next week’s edition. ◆