The father of a 3-year-old boy who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in northwest China said draconian Covid-19 policies delayed getting treatment and “indirectly killed” his son.
The boy’s death on Tuesday is the latest incident to spark outrage on social media and a backlash against China’s strict zero-Covid policy.
“I personally believe he was killed indirectly,” Tuo Shilei, the boy’s father, told Reuters by phone from Lanzhou, which has been in lockdown for weeks.
Tuo found her son Wenxuan unwell after slipping and falling under the influence of gas fumes while cooking on Tuesday. Tuo said he desperately tried to call an ambulance and the police, but they were unsuccessful.
After about 30 minutes, Wenxuan’s condition worsened, and Tuo said CPR had a temporary effect. Together with his son, he rushed to the entrance of the apartment complex, which was heavily blocked. The gate staff would not let him pass and told him to call the local authorities or an ambulance.
Frustrated and tired of waiting for an ambulance, Tuo and his son burst through the fence, and locals called a taxi to take him to the hospital, but the doctors’ efforts to save Wenxuan failed. it’s over.
“There was a Covid situation at the checkpoint. The staff did not act, ignored and circumvented the problem, so we were blocked by another checkpoint,” Tuo said.
“No help was offered. This chain of events caused my child’s death.”
The Lanzhou government and health department and the Gansu provincial government did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
At last month’s Communist Party Congress, President Xi Jinping reaffirmed China’s commitment to a zero-Covid policy that has made it a global outlier and led to devastating lockdowns in cities across the country.
Wenxuan’s story began to circulate on social media, with a video shared of him undergoing CPR in the back of a truck, with comments suggesting he died from delayed treatment.
One hashtag, “Three years of Covid was all of his life,” became a trending topic before being taken down.
“Sadly, children’s memories will only be masks,” wrote one Weibo user.
“Is there any trust left in the authorities?” wrote another user.
Many cases of people dying because they were unable to get medical care due to Covid restrictions have sparked viral outrage this year, including many during Shanghai’s two-month lockdown.
Mr. Tuo was later contacted by a retired local government employee who arranged to remit 100,000 yuan ($13,000) if he signed a pledge not to publicize the incident or seek redress. proposed.
Tuo said he declined the offer and instead asked for an explanation for his son’s death.
Bungen’s funeral was held Wednesday morning in his hometown of Kasho, near the family. Tuo did not attend for fear of being quarantined upon arrival.