Thursday, October 13, 2022
Zoom in +
Rhode Island has a legislative foodie campaign going on right now.
Republican candidate Alan Fong’s latest TV commercial reveals his new energy plan to try to win an open second Congressional seat.
Energy costs are skyrocketing. OPEC+ has cut oil exports and raised gasoline prices. In Rhode Island, the Public Utilities Commission approved his application for a 47% increase in RI Energy’s electricity bills. RI Energy also has a pending request for approval of 15% of natural gas prices.
GET THE LATEST BREAKING NEWS HERE — SIGN UP FOR GOLOCAL’S FREE DAILY EBLAST
Are the commercials for Fung’s energy plans filmed in windmills and solar farms? Any homeowner tearing up their electric bill in frustration?
Fung’s spot was filmed at Twin Oaks, a dining establishment in Cranston.
Diners eat and are served by iconic waiters. Fungi and food – the theme of his campaign.
Fung’s Democratic opponent, Seth Magaziner, has accused Fung of abortion and has linked him to potential Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, but Fung’s message is all Rhode Island and all local. Yes, they serve a lot of food.
Fung’s message stays away from President Joe Biden and is not directed at former President Donald Trump.
It’s all unwittingly tied to Rhode Island’s iconic food: a shared experience.
Zoom in +
Another of his political television commercials highlights his tenure as mayor of Cranston. It focuses on what he called the “Cranston Miracle”.
The site is being completed by construction crews knocking over the Newport Creamery.
big time fundraiser
Cash is king for political candidates this time of year. Funding is critical to keeping the campaign paid for his staff and running commercials. Fung’s next big fundraiser is his $30 per person clam cake and chowder event at Iggy’s.
Prices are discounted to $50 for a couple.
Zoom in +
Zoom in +
It’s been 30 years since a Republican won the second seat in RI’s House of Representatives. And Von is doing everything possible to avoid discussions about Trump, McCarthy, abortion, or guns.
Fung is the guy who’s running for mayor and wants to sit down and eat with him.
And then the meal continues.
- Efforts to expose key Rhode Island pension documents blocked by Magaziner
- Magaziner does not know the cost of his proposal to build 5,000 new housing units
- ‘Democrats Serve’ PAC Endorses Seth Magajer for Governor
- Magajer drops out of gubernatorial race and runs for Congress
- Magazine Reporter Analyzes Fung’s Prospects in RI Congressional Election: Outlaws Live
- Magaziner invites opponents to sign ‘People’s Pledge’ – Brown calls it ’empty gimmick’
- Gorbea Calls for Self-Finance for Magaziner
- Magaziner announced to the government. Candidates appear in District 3 of Prov.Cranston GOP endorses
- Magazine treasurer and wife Julia McDowell announces birth of son
- Magaziner refuses to disclose source of $800K loan but seeks disclosures from other candidates
- Barclays Bank CEO deported over Epstein ties, Ira Magaziner continues to refuse to answer questions
- Magaziner calls on Fung to donate to the Feds – he’s donating it to children with disabilities
- RI Political Diary: AFL-CIO Endorses Magaziner’s CD2
- Magaziner ignores other Democrats, delivers message to Fung
- Magaziner’s ad features a house, but his real home is more elaborate
- Magazine wins Democratic congressional primary, setting up showdown with Fong
- Magaziner Has Endorsements From Former Republican Election Officials And Candidates – See Who
- Magaziner Launches Attack Ads — Apparently Targeting White House Senators
- RI Political Diary: Langevin’s endorsement of Magaziner is a ‘wrong’, says Bah
- Fung Campaign asks magazine publishers if they are concerned that campaign loans are illegal.
- RI Political Diary: GOP CD2 candidate de la Cruz on watch list. Magaziner’s personal loans questioned
- RI Political Diary: Magazine Supports Starbucks Union Efforts.The De La Cruz Fear Factor of the Democratic Party
- RI Political Diary: Fox News’ Magaziner Focus; Mackie’s vote count
- Seth Magaziner continues to refuse to answer why it got $800,000 to fund the campaign
- Fung v. Magaziner One of America’s Nastiest Races – Top Political Experts Analyze the Contest
- RI, Addiction, Two Category 5 Healthcare Crises Hitting Slater Hospital – Rep. Fenton-Fung
- Fenton-Fung Introduces Bill to Set General Assembly Term Limits
- Editorial: Fung should run for Congress if he can answer Trump questions
- Update: Fung Announces Candidacy for Congress
- Former Cranston Mayor Alan Fong Joins Top RI Firm
- Fenton-Fung and Casimiro urge RIDOH to provide vaccinations for caregivers of chemotherapy patients
- Mattiello admits defeat, Fenton Von thanks the speaker for his service
- Whitcomb: Children need exposure to microbes.Von should disown Trump
- Fang tests positive for coronavirus, Raimondo in quarantine after another exposure
- 2021 is the time to drive innovation and grow RI’s economy – Fenton-Fung
- RI Political Diary: Fung’s Fear Factor Rejuvenates AFL-CIO
- Fung Issues Statement Three Days After House Republican Leader’s Visit to RI
- Morgenthau slams Fang for McCarthy fundraiser
- Republican Congressman Alan Fong Talks Inflation, Trump, Guns, Abortion Rights
- By saying nothing, Fung is defending Trump, says top political scientist Lawless
- Lancia Resigns from Congressional Election, Paving Fans’ Path to Republican Nomination
- Fung refuses to answer Trump’s questions about January 6th.Actions Revealed by White House Aides
- PHOTOS: Von and Kars headline the RI GOP competition