Breast cancer is widely claimed to be just a crisis in the Western world, but the harsh reality is that it ranks as the most common cancer worldwide. It is present and accounts for 14% of cancers in Indian women. According to medical survey data, an Indian woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every four minutes of her life. However, we know that a healthy lifestyle and nutrition are very important for breast cancer patients.
How to lower the risk of breast cancer?
The term breast cancer survivor refers to women diagnosed with cancer and undergoing rehabilitation. If you have or have had breast cancer, other things besides medication to reduce your chances of developing or recurring cancer, such as adopting a certain lifestyle or eating a certain diet Fortunately, breast cancer is one of the best-studied types of tumors in this regard, and several studies have shown that appropriate Nutrition and exercise have been shown to help restore health.
Importance of physical activity for breast cancer patients
Maintaining a healthy body mass index both pre- and post-diagnosis is associated with survival from breast cancer. If you have survived breast cancer, it is highly recommended that you maintain a healthy weight to reduce your risk. Large studies show that being overweight or obese increases the risk of recurrent breast cancer. It also increases the risk of developing lymphedema or dying from breast cancer. But there are other factors that explain why overweight or obese women are more likely to die from the disease.
The Importance of “Nutrition and a Healthy Diet” for Breast Cancer Patients
Diet has a large impact on certain diseases. Nonetheless, the majority of research on the potential link between diet and the threat of recurrent breast cancer has focused on broad dietary habits rather than specific foods. Due to their need for protein, it is recommended to consume a high protein diet. The body needs it to rebuild cells, fight infections, and heal wounds.
Also Read: Common sexual complaints in breast cancer patients: treatments to improve intimacy
Add these three nutrients to your diet to fight breast cancer.
1. Fiber: Women who eat more fiber-rich foods before and after diagnosis may be less likely to die from breast cancer.
2. Soy products (protein): Breast cancer survivors may have lower mortality from the disease if they consume more soy foods after diagnosis.
3. Healthy Fats: Women who eat a high-fat diet before they actually develop breast cancer may have a higher risk of death after evaluation.
Foods to avoid with breast cancer:
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it may interact with post-recovery medications.
- Spicy and acidic diets can exacerbate mouth sores, a common complication of chemotherapy.
- Avoid eating raw or undercooked food as this may maximize the risk of infection.
- Avoid eating processed and refined carbohydrates.
- Sugar consumption should also be reduced.