Both the garage fire in November and the accident in January stemmed from his passion for vintage cars. He suffered burns to his face, hands and chest in a gasoline fire while repairing the fuel lines of a vintage car. Last week was a vintage bike.
He told Review-Journal’s John Katsilometes that he smelled a gas leak while testing a 1940s motorcycle.
“There I turned a side street and went through the parking lot and without my knowledge some guys had put wires in the parking lot and there was no flag hanging from it,” Leno, 72, said. . “So I didn’t see it until it was too late.”
He insisted he was fine and would be back at work this weekend, adding that heavy coverage of the fire in November had made him hesitant to say anything since the accident last week.
Leno took over NBC’s “Tonight” when longtime host Johnny Carson retired in 1992. Conan O’Brien took over in 2009, but the show’s poor ratings prompted NBC to cool down and bring Leno back to host in 2010. job until Jimmy Fallon took over his 2014.
Leno turned his love of cars into the CNBC series “Jay Leno’s Garage” and is hosting the revival of the game show “You Bet Your Life.”
He was hospitalized for nine days after the fire, but was performing stand-up at a club in Southern California six days after his release.
Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.