- A Chinese man was hospitalized after eating live crabs and pinching his daughter, according to the South China Morning Post.
- Months after swallowing shellfish, he was hospitalized with severe back pain and a parasitic infection.
- Raw crab is served in some parts of China, but local government officials recommend against raw crab.
A Chinese man became strangely ill months after eating live crabs to avenge his daughter’s death.
The man, identified as Lu, a 39-year-old from Zhejiang province, recently went to a hospital in Hangzhou about two months after swallowing shellfish, complaining of severe back pain to doctors, according to the South China Morning Post. I received a medical examination.
“Why did you eat live crabs?” I asked him. He said, “I wanted to take revenge on my daughter,” Dr. Cao Qian told The Morning Post. I put it in my mouth for revenge.'”
According to The Morning Post, Mr. Cao only admitted that Mr. Lu ate crabs after his wife mentioned the incident to doctors who were puzzled by “pathological changes in the chest, abdomen, liver and digestive system.” said that
“We asked him repeatedly if he had ever eaten game or anything unusual or anything that could cause an allergy. He said no to everything.”
According to The Morning Post, blood tests revealed that Lou had three parasitic infections from eating live crabs.
Crabs are usually cooked in China, but in Lu’s native Zhejiang province and neighboring provinces, they are often served raw and soaked in alcohol under the name of “drunk crabs,” according to The Morning Post. There is also
“In theory, it’s better to eat marinated than completely raw because it’s been treated with alcohol, which helps kill parasites and bacteria.” is not 100% safe.”
According to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government, the Hong Kong Food Safety Center does not recommend eating raw crab, marinated or not.