Russia’s defense minister said 82,000 conscripts had already been sent to Ukraine. It reflects what you call it.
Sergey Shoigu told President Vladimir Putin that a further 218,000 people were being trained in barracks and the controversial “partial mobilization” was over, but he could not confirm the figures cited. .
The meeting between the two was broadcast on Russian state television, and Shoigu told Putin: No further action is planned. ”
Emergency conscription began in September after Ukraine won a string of victories in the northwest near Kharkov, with some Russians protesting and others fleeing the country. Dozens of conscripts were killed after being thrown into the front lines to protect the more experienced units in the rear.
Britain’s defense ministry said on Friday that Russia is looking to strengthen existing interests after eight months of heavy fighting by relying on “severely undermanned and poorly trained forces” that are “only capable of defensive operations”. rice field.
Despite critical analysis, however, there are indications that increasing Russian conscription is slowing advances in both eastern and southern Ukraine as we head into autumn and winter.
Serhiy Haidai, the governor-general of Ukraine for the East Luhansk region, said in a television interview that “the advance of the Ukrainian army is not going as fast as we would have liked.”
Thousands of conscripts were stationed in Bakhmut and other places, and according to Haydai, they were quickly killed or wounded after being thrown into battle with the dug-in Ukrainians. The average ‘shelf life’ for personnel who have been incapacitated is about two weeks,” the governor added.
Ukraine’s Chief of General Staff said on Friday that up to 1,000 Russian conscripts had been sent across the Dnipro to reinforce Kherson, indicating that the Kremlin did not want to abandon the city without some sort of fight. The army was encamped in the homes of people who had fled the war.
A week ago, Russia, fearing losing the city, appeared to have moved its commanders to the east bank of the river and started evacuating civilians, which Ukraine said amounted to deportation.
Ukraine recaptured a series of villages near Kherson in early October, but earlier this week Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov warned that the autumn rains had “slowed our movement down a bit”, slowing progress.
Locals say the terrain between the Ukrainian-held city of Mykolaiv and Kherson is particularly difficult. This is because the flat ground is cut open by large irrigation canals.
Western military experts have long predicted that the tempo of fighting would slow in November as heavy rain clogged the ground and armored vehicles made off-road operations increasingly difficult. Until then, the battle may not resume.
Kherson’s Russian-appointed governor said earlier this week that the tomb and remains of Prince Grigory Potemkin, chancellor and mistress of 18th-century ruler Catherine the Great, had been removed from Kherson’s cathedral and moved deep into the occupied territory. rice field.
“We have moved the remains of His Highness Potemkin and the monument itself from St. Catherine’s Church to the eastern left bank of the Dnipro River,” Volodymyr Sardo said, according to Russian state news agency.
Another Russian official said the evacuation of civilians from Kherson had been completed. “The work to organize the population to go from the left bank of the Dnipro to safe areas of Russia has been completed,” Moscow-appointed head of Crimea Sergei Aksyonov said after a visit to the area late Thursday.
The Ukrainian Air Force says it has shot down more than 300 Iranian-made Shahed-136 Kamikaze drones so far, a fraction of the 2,400 it believes Russia has acquired from Tehran. Only.
Russia targeted Ukrainian power plants and energy grids during October using hard-to-detect drones. Blackouts aimed at destabilizing energy supplies are now routine in many of the country’s major cities.
Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko said the city’s power grid was operating in “emergency mode”, with power supply cut by about half compared to pre-war levels. A four-hour blackout was announced in and around the capital.
Oleg Sinievbov, governor of the Kharkiv region, announced on Telegram that a daily one-hour blackout will begin on Monday, including in the provincial capital, Ukraine’s second-largest city.
At least four civilians have been killed and 10 injured in recent Russian attacks, the Ukrainian president’s office said.